Coalmining Representation in the Heritage Sector of the East Midlands

Coalmining Representation in the Heritage Sector of the East Midlands

Sherwood Colliery – 20th anniversary of closure

31st January 2012 saw the 20th anniversary of the closure of Sherwood Colliery near Mansfield Woodhouse in Nottinghamshire.  The colliery finished production after 90 years due to the ever increasing problems associated with the problems of subsidence damage in the built up urban regions around Mansfield.   Ironically the colliery achieved its highest ever output of 1,012,550 tons of coal only two years previously in 1989-90.

Lord Bernard Taylor of Mansfield, formerly MP for Mansfield in the 1960′s, was perhaps Sherwood’s  most famous former employee.  His 1972 book “Uphill all the way” told the story of a pit-lad making it to the House of Lords.

Comments

Mick holmes May 5th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I can’t believe it’s 20 years since it closed. I worked there from 1977-1992. Then Ollerton Colliery 1992-1994.

David June 16th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hello Mick – Yes the march of time goes on at a rapid pace! Sherwood and Crownie both had problems with high rates of subsidence costs and the loss of potential reserves under these areas of potential high subsidence costs in the early 1980′s. In February 1984 the NCB South Notts Area wiped off a large area of Bentinck’s reserves in the Tupton Seam under Ravenshead at the stroke of a pen because of potential high subsidence costs.

Richard Coggan January 22nd, 2014 at 12:24 am

Hi .. I don’t no if any one will get this message, but my dad worked down sherwood pit I think he left in 1990 or 91 might been a bit earler I was just wondering if any one new him ? His name was john William Coggan !!! If so do u have any pictors of him from when he was down the pit ! If so my email address is rcogs75@gmail.com I haven’t seen anything of my dad since 89/90/91 many thanks , john William coggans son .. R. Coggan

David April 20th, 2014 at 6:12 pm

You would have to check with the Nottinghamshire Archives to see if any of the documentation from Sherwood Colliery survives. Signing on books and leaving books etc from Nottinghamshire collieries are a bit and miss – unfortunately more miss than hit.

jeff eyre August 8th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I worked at Sherwood colliery for the best part of 18 years as a Loco driver, banksman and then Winder. I took my redundancy when the pit closed. And how I wish it were still there.

Peter January 4th, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Hi
    I don’t know if anyone can help me to try and get in contact with a former employee at Sherwood Colliery, who I last saw in 1986. Her name is Chris Parkes and she was the Managers secretary when I last saw her in 1986. An E:mail address would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Shead August 3rd, 2017 at 1:27 pm

We have 2 ledgers in the Link for Sherwood Colliery rescued when they were throwing things down the shaft. One is a ledger for the Death and Divide club for Widows etc and the other employment details, why they left and where they went to with check numbers and comments. Friday is the best day to see our Archivist Ann Sewell who had the details on a memory stick.

David August 3rd, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Hello Tom – Are you looking for a new home for the ledgers? If so, I would suggest that both of these local coalmining ledgers should go to the University of Nottingham Archives at Lenton for safe keeping. I will be in an around Mansfield one Friday in the near future for a business meeting for Mine2Minds Education. I’ll drop you an e-mail when the date of the meeting has been finalised and make arrangements to see Ann to get details of the Sherwood Colliery ledgers. Regards David Amos – Research Assistant in Coal and Dialect, Nottingham Trent University.

David August 3rd, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Hello Peter – I think the best way forward with this one is to drop a letter to the local Mansfield Chad Newspaper. Alternatively, there may be a local social media site where you could get contact details. There is an interactive website called Our Mansfield and Area which is quite useful.

The name field is required. Please ensure you fill in this section

The email field is required but will not be shown on the website. Please ensure you fill in this section

About this Sponsor

The MuBu Coalmining Project took place from April 2010 to the end of March 2012.  The remit was two-fold - firstly to see how the once vast coalmining industry in the East Midlands was represented in the Heritage sector and secondly to bring aspects of social media to that representation. The Coal mining project was funded by Renaissance East Midlands (REM) and the Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS) at the University of Nottingham. The Bursary holder was Dr. David Amos who completed a PhD on the 1984-85 Miners Strike in the Nottinghamshire Coalfield. David is an ex miner, having worked in the deep mining coal industry at Annesley Colliery for 24 years.

css.php