Sudbury Hall NT

Sudbury Hall NT

Attic 6 project – Week Two

Well we have braved the chilly weather and started the process of mould cleaning on the few objects we noticed needed it. As hard as we try to protect and preserve every object, sometimes we can’t fight Mother Nature.  Each object requires a different method depending on its material, for example we wouldn’t treat fabric the same way we would wood.

When cleaning objects affected with mould it is important that it is carried out in the correct environment, because mo uld is more dangerous to us than it is to the object! This means we have to follow the advice and rules that the National Trust has put in place for our safety and wellbeing.

This involves being in a room, which is well ventilated, as well as being well lit. A photography studio lamp is also used to increase the light level; as it helps us to find the mould spores with greater ease, as the fluffy parts of the mould become visible.  The most important part of this process, for our safety, is being dressed the correct way. As you can see in photograph this involves lab coats, vinyl gloves and a protective mask.

A rocking horse from attic 6 to use as an example to show you how we clean mould.

 

 We use a special museum vacuum, with the use of a hog’s hair brush to remove the fuzzy part of the mould as well as helping to clean off dust and dirt. The next step is to create our own cotton swabs, by wrapping 100% cotton wool around a chop stick (this sounds silly, but we try to be as inventive as we can). We then dip the cotton wool into a small out of a chemical called IMS which is basically pure alcohol. Then we gently wipe over the entire hard surface, which will clean the object at the same time. 

For a fabric or a painted object we would only use the special museums vacuum and hog’s hair brush.

Once the object is clean, its cover will be washed to stop re-growth, just in case the mould spores have passed onto the cover.

This is a time consuming task, especially when wearing the protective masks as it does get slightly uncomfortable after a while! But it is all worth every minute, as it helps in the conservation of an object.

Well I’m afraid we are going to take a little break for a few weeks, as well as everyone else for Christmas, so I will see you all in the New Year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

From

Sudbury Hall and the National Trust Museum of Childhood

 

Comments are closed.

About this Sponsor

Content to follow...

css.php