Coalmining Representation in the Heritage Sector of the East Midlands

Coalmining Representation in the Heritage Sector of the East Midlands

Gedling Colliery – 20 years since closure

Gedling Colliery, based three-miles to the east of Nottingham, finished production on 8th November 1991.  The colliery was sunk by the Digby Colliery Company from Giltbrook in 1901-02.  In the 1930′s the Digby Company and the Bestwood Company merged to form BA Collieries Ltd. Following nationalisation in 1947 Gedling went into the the NCB East Midlands No.6 Area and subsequently into the NCB South Nottinghamshire Area from 1967.

From the early 1950′s to the late 1960′s Gedling was a “big hitter” and produced one-million tons of coal a year in this period.  Maximum manpower of c2,500 was achieved in the 1950′s.  In the post World War Two era Gedling became  a receiving pit for many migrant miners from diverse locations around the world and became of this it became known as “the pit of all nations”.

Comments

durham miner June 1st, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Loved seeing your notts mines closing.
    Shame on you all for 1984..

David June 16th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Two questions here:

1. Does this shame include all the former Durham, Scottish, and Derbyshire Miners plus the Poles, Welsh etc who worked in the Notts Coalfield?

2. Who closed more pits in the Durham Coalfield – the Tories or Labour?

Answers on a Post card!

Terry January 4th, 2015 at 3:22 am

How pathetic can you be. We choose to vote and not be dictated by the likes of Scargill.

Edward Rudzki January 29th, 2016 at 12:02 am

With great pleasure I am visiting your webside due to that, as a young student from Poland I used to work with Gedling Colliery. Unfortunately that was in 199, so I am afraid there are not many peaple remebering this time. I do remember the names of some people like Mr.Pickering who was at that time,if I remember Personnel Oficer, Frank Turek (Polish in charge of one of production section) and some more, I used to stay at YMCA at Shakspeare Str. in Nottingham.
    That was very good time to visit UK at that time and I am very happy to have such oportunity.

David January 29th, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Hello Edward – glad you enjoyed looking at the website. The MuBu Project (Museum Buddies) 2010 – 2012 was an excellent digital project and if nothing else gave me a realisation that there are other useful platforms to record aspects of what we call “hidden histories”. The Gedling Colliery site is now a developing Country Park, a move from the pit below to the park above!

Lucy Cann March 13th, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I am a UCL student currently researching the position of black miners in the miners’ strike of 1984-5.

I have learned that Nottingham, and in particular Gedling, had a relatively high number of black miners.

I’m really interested in finding out more about this, so I’d be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of more information about this.

Many thanks.

David March 13th, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Hello Lucy

Gedling Colliery did indeed have a large proportion of Afro-Caribbean miners in its workforce. Norma Gregory is currently doing a project called Miners of Afro-Caribbean Heritage – Narratives from Nottinghamshire, therefore I suggest you contact her at norma@nottinghamnewscentre.com. Much of Norma’s work is centred around Gedling Colliery and its Afro-Caribbean workforce. Locally Gedling was known as “The Pit of Nations!” There is a Facebook Page for the Project called Coal-Miners-of-African-Heritage-Narratives-from-Nottinghamshire-Project.

paul March 27th, 2016 at 8:19 pm

great to read up on the old pit I worked underground from 1980 to 83, met some great guys, best working people I have ever worked with, wish I never left.
    im sure one day we will be going back.

I have lived in new Zealand since leaving England,and now reside in oz, but I never forget those days

David March 28th, 2016 at 10:38 am

Hello Paul – Norma Gregory is currently doing a Project on Afro-Caribbean miners based at Gedling Colliery. The Project is called “Miners of African Caribbean Heritage – Narratives from Nottinghamshire” and there is a Facebook page for the Project. The former Gedling Pit site is now part of the developing Gedling Country Park. In November 2016 it will be 25 years since the closure of Gedling Colliery.

Jim Linwood July 18th, 2018 at 6:14 pm

My experiences of Gedling Colliery:

David July 23rd, 2018 at 6:38 am

Hello Jim – Thanks for sending the link to your coalmining website – most interesting. Do you know Bob Bradley, former Senior Mining Surveyor? His history of coalmining in the East Midlands can be found on the Healey Hero website.

The name field is required. Please ensure you fill in this section

The email field is required but will not be shown on the website. Please ensure you fill in this section

About this Sponsor

The MuBu Coalmining Project took place from April 2010 to the end of March 2012.  The remit was two-fold - firstly to see how the once vast coalmining industry in the East Midlands was represented in the Heritage sector and secondly to bring aspects of social media to that representation. The Coal mining project was funded by Renaissance East Midlands (REM) and the Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS) at the University of Nottingham. The Bursary holder was Dr. David Amos who completed a PhD on the 1984-85 Miners Strike in the Nottinghamshire Coalfield. David is an ex miner, having worked in the deep mining coal industry at Annesley Colliery for 24 years.

css.php